Having a mentor is said to be one of the most important keys to success. I believe this is especially true early on in your career and while you are still in college.
Here is why I believe you should find yourself a mentor:
1. They’ve been there and done that. You can learn from your mentor’s mistakes and avoid making them yourself.
2. You can talk to someone who is an unbiased third party. They see you for you. Your mentor may notice potential in you that you might not see in yourself. Better yet, they are not your boss so you don’t have to worry about things coming up in your review. And, they are not your parents so you can actually listen to them!
3. They have a whole different network of contacts and connections that you don’t. These connections are priceless and can help enhance your career in ways you couldn’t yourself.
4. It’s the best free service you could ever get. AND you’ll probably gain a life-long friend.
5. Your mentor may introduce you to a career path or business opportunity that you did not know existed before.
Now I’m sure you’re asking how the heck you can find yourself a mentor. Well lucky for you I have a solution.
Allie Osmar of thecreativecareer.com is now matchmaking mentors and mentorees. If you are looking for a career mentor, please fill out this form and Allie will get back to you as soon as she finds a great mentor for you.
Allie and I are always available to help too, just ask!